Monday, March 16, 2009

Update & Perspective

Jeramie and I have had a great day visiting with Ethan! He got me a little worked up when he got the hiccups and they kept interfering with his heart rate monitor, but other than that he's still truckin' along.

I haven't been back to see him in a couple of hours, but he's been getting lots of love from Grandma and Aunt Jessi. It sounds like he's not coming off the ventilator today, which I am OK with. They want to make sure he's absolutely able to handle it before they pull him off, and it will decrease the chance of having to put him back on it. Slow and steady wins the race, right?!

He's also had a low-grade fever since this morning. They're keeping a close eye on it and will possibly screen for infection if it rises. Please pray that this is nothing and he'll recover quickly from it.

The pacemaker is looking more and more like it will be a part of Ethan's future, but I had a bit of an epiphany about it this morning. I realized the reasons I don't want this for my son are a bit "superficial" or "aesthetic", as Jeramie calls it. I don't want there to be a bulge under his abdomen where it will be placed for now. I don't want there to be a bulge under his collar bone where it will end up eventually. I don't want to hear an audible tick in a very quiet room. However, I do want Ethan to grow up and live a normal, healthy, active life. If this means that his heart can't do that on it's own, and needs a little help, then so be it. We had a very good nurse explain it to us this way: the pacemaker is like a back-up that we're not lucky enough to have. It'll be set so that his heart can do what it can on it's own, but when it's not able to, the pacemaker will kick in and help it out. That is a very reassuring way to look at it, I think. BUT, I am still not giving up hope. I still know that we serve a God who just loves miracles and I still believe that a miracle can happen. It may not be the miracle I'm looking for, but I know God's not going to let us down.

Keep praying. We still have a long road ahead of us, but it's getting a little easier to take these much needed steps.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

IT SOUNDS LIKE THINGS ARE LOOKING UP! YOU ARE SO RIGHT, WE DO SERVE AN AMAZING GOD WHO IS BIGGER THAN ANYTHING IN LIFE, SO KNOW WHEN THE MOMENTS GET TOUGH AND YOU ARE NOT SURE WHAT TO DO THAT HE HAS A PLAN FOR YOU AND FOR PRECIOUS ETHAN. I AM LOVING THIS BLOG, BEING ABLE TO FOLLOW A LONG WITH HIS PROGRESS HAS BEEN NOTHING SHORT OF AMAZING. THE STRENGTH THAT THE TWO OF YOU HAVE SHOWN THROUGH ALL OF THIS IS CERTAINLY INSPIRING. WE LOVE YOU GUYS AND WISH YOU NOTHING BUT THE BEST!!! ;-)

Jami Brewer said...

Hey Joye & Jeramie,

It's your cuz, Heather, I have just finished reading about your little, PRECIOUS, baby Ethan. I don't want to sound cheesy or anything, but I will speak from the heart. First, I have major respect for you two and I am in awe of the strength you guys seem to have (we all know it comes from God). Ethan could not ask for a better set of parents. I don't really know Jeramie that well, but I do know you are and always have been a Great Person with love for everyone. I am proud to call you my cousin! Ethan is a beautiful baby and God must have some very BIG plans for him b/c he has already made a huge impact on all of us. I am glad to see that he is doing well and really hope that he continues to do so. I hope you guys don't mind, but I posted a blog on my "myspace" page with a general idea of Ethan's condition and asking everyone to pray for him. I didn't put a pic on there, though. I am hoping the more people we get to pray for him, the louder we will be, and the louder we are, the more God hears us. I remember when we were little we used to stay with eachother all the time, got sick together (you, me, Jessie), played Barbies and house and stuff. He Will grow up to do those things (well not play barbies I hope...house, maybe lol!)Well, there's not too much more I can say that hasn't already been said but Joye, I Love You! and I am praying for you and your family! Jeramie, I have met you only once or twice, but I don't think Joye could have asked for a better husband and I Love You for that!

With All The Sincerity I Have In My Heart, Heather

Anonymous said...

Joye it has been great reading about Ethan everyday! I race home to check on him after work and even check late at night. I.m so glad that he is the fighter that he is. It's like I have a fourth child! I'm sure the days will keep getting brighter and brigter!
Go Ehtan!
~Shanetta B

Unknown said...

Yeah Ethan! Yeah Joye! Yeah Jeramie! This is just amazing! Continuing to pray for all of you for strength and peace. Love, Anne

Janet Fuller said...

We are praying with you Joye for Ethan to not need the pace maker if at all possible. It is not selfish for you to want this for your son. God has the master plan for Ethan as we know and it is so reassuring to know that even when God does not answer our prayers they way we think we want them that He has the perfect plan and purpose in what He is doing. Sometimes we may never understand but that is where faith comes in. Yours and Jeramie's faith is an inspiration to many. What a mighty God we serve. We keep up with your posts so we know how to specifically pray for the needs Ethan has, as well as you and Jeramie.
Please take care of yourself and remember that your body went through the trauma of child birth just over a week ago. Chemicals are changing inside you so don't be alarmed when you get emotional beyond what you think is 'normal.' We love you. Hugs to you all.

Lisa Quinn said...

We're behind you all the way little man! Keep strong :-)

Love, hugs and prayers,
Kendal, Lisa and Regan

Mary said...

I'm a friend of Erica's; she recently told me about your precious baby, so I hope you don't mind that I've been keeping up with you through your blog. You are just so amazing and so strong and I know that God is watching over you and your precious son. I wish I had half the strength as you. Know that a friend of a friend is praying for you and sending you lots of love and happy thoughts as you travel this journey! -Mary

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that we read your updates aloud every morning in our classroom (for the adults). Everyone in our classroom, and in our school, for that matter, has you, Jeramie and Ethan in their thoughts and prayers.

Erin Fish said...

Hi Joye....I wanted you to know that I have been keeping up with your blog from Denver and praying for you, Jeramie and baby Ethan. It is so true that we love a God who can do infinite miracles. I am amazed at your strength. When you have tough moments be encouraged by what an example you are and know that so many are praying for you!

Mandy said...

Hey Joye! I definitely feel like I am reading The Lamberth's blog. So many people from all over the country are leaving you comments. It is just another example just how amazing our God is. Like I told you tonight your strength and updates are inspiring so many people you don't even know. My team mates at school don't know you/or barely do and they are so touched by your story and your faith! They are so encouraged by you and it has opened some doors for some great conversations! We will all keep praying for the pacemaker and for the breathing tube stuff tomorrow! love ya guys

Anonymous said...

Joye & Jeramie,

Gosh, Scott & I gather around the computer at night to get caught up on the happenings of little Ethan. Jeramie is right when he talks about the title of Ethan's article in the newspaper! We wish so much that we could be there in physical support of the three of you. We hope you know that you have two people (and Izzy) sending healthy prayers and good thoughts your way over this huge country of ours. How we wish we could be there! We love you and miss you very much. Joye, you are one of the strongest women I know...keep truckin' girl. I believe in your strength. Love you much! xoxo Paige & Scott

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...