Friday, January 1, 2010

Reflections

Happy New Year! I can hardly believe that today is the first day of 2010.

Ten years ago I was a senior in high school, thinking about pursuing teaching, and deeply involved with my church youth group. I was innocent, shy, and painfully optimistic. I was in the midst of living a fairly easy life and knew very little about the hurt and tragedies that were happening outside of my bubble. I had shared my heart with a few special guys, praying that I would find the one who would be worthy of marriage. I was preparing to leave home, for the first time in 18 years, to attend college at UNC-Greensboro. I had no idea what things God had in store for me.

Fast-forward five years, and I had just graduated from college with a degree in Deaf Education. I began my first job, taking over for a teacher who was going on maternity leave. I had my girls: Brandi, Michelle, and Tara, with whom I had learned many life lessons during our college days. I lost some of that optimism, as we came face-to-face with more than a few harsh situations. I learned that life was not the easy road it had been just a few years prior. Also, I was just weeks away from meeting my future husband, although I could have never seen him coming.

And, now, here I am on January 1, 2010. The past five years have come with its fair share of lessons. I've learned (and am still learning!) what it means to be someone's wife, as I married my perfect man on June 24, 2006. We've learned how to live life together; we've bought our first house, comforted each other during the loss of a loved one, and discovered the sheer joy of becoming parents.

I can think of many events over the past 10 years that have had a profound effect on who I am, but none of those can even compare to the miracle of creating new life. I absolutely loved being pregnant and often miss that time of my life; however, being able to love on and cuddle with my son is simply amazing. His journey into this cruel world was not an easy one, and that makes his life that much sweeter.

This past year has taught me so many things about myself. I've discovered a desire for writing and home-making, among other things. I've experienced emotions I never knew existed; there's been pain, a deep piercing pain, that I wouldn't wish on anyone... but there has also been deep, intense, beautiful love.

I always knew I was stubborn, but I've learned just how strong-willed I can be. At times, I wished that Ethan's life would be spared in place of mine. But, thanks to an Almighty, healing God, that wish need not come true.

Now, I have the privilege of being the mother to a strong, miraculous, (almost) 10 month old little boy. My life has new meaning, new purpose. Regardless of how hard things are, how tired I am, or how little money we have, 2009 has taught me that I am, without a doubt, absolutely blessed.

I've come a long, long way my friends, and twenty-ten will be an incredible year.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Great post Joye- thanks for the reflections, 2010 is going to be awesome! Love you!

Stefenie said...

Happy New Year Joye!

Stef, Ryan, Wyatt and Logan
www.whenlifehandsyouabrokenheart.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...