Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Sister, Sister

This past weekend Jeramie, Ethan, and I drove down to my parents' house to spend a few days there. It would be my sister's last weekend in town, and our last chance to see her before she boarded a west-bound plane to Portland, Oregon.

I've been in denial since she told me a few months ago that she would be moving. I only mentioned it to a few people, and always pushed the thought of her not being 2 hours away to the very back of my mind.

However, come Sunday, I couldn't deny it anymore. I sobbed after she cut Ethan's hair. Partly because it was his first haircut and he looks nothing like a baby anymore, but mostly because it was such a special thing for her to be able to do before she left. I teared up when I watched her snuggle with Ethan on the couch while watching cartoons, and I cried for about 45 minutes in the car after we drove away ...and that was just on Sunday. Let's not talk about my emotional breakdown today, knowing that she's no longer in North Carolina.

The bond between sisters is a very special and unique thing. Growing up, we did everything we could to get away from each other. There were cat fights, and yelling, and pulling of hair, and gnashing of teeth. But, now that we have matured, we are best friends. She is one of the most giving, tender-hearted, free-spirited people I know. She loves Ethan so genuinely and deeply, and would do anything in the world for him, me, or Jeramie. The same is true of our Mama and Daddy. I've never met anyone else like her.

Many people have asked "Why?!" when they hear that Jessi is moving to Oregon and, to that, I am learning to reply, "Why not?". Why does a single, 24-year old, with no major responsibilities, need to explain a decision that would give her an opportunity to experience a different part of the country? As much as I don't like it, I am so very proud of her for doing this. For moving out of our parents' home and into a house with friends 3,000 miles away. For finding a job before she ever boarded the plane. For being brave, and willing, enough to have her life turned upside-down. For leaving the comfort of Southeastern North Carolina, the only place she's ever called home, to fly across the country and start all over again. That takes the kind of courage I only wish I had, and it makes me one proud big sister.

I'm going to miss her like crazy, and it makes me sad that Ethan won't get to spend as much time with her, but this isn't about me or Ethan, really. The best thing I can do now is support her in every way possible, especially through prayer. I'll be following along in her journey, and you can too! She started a blog to document this new life adventure, and I think she is quite the writer! See for yourself.

I love you, Jessi, and I am so very proud of you! I can't wait to hear the stories you'll have to tell...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...