Monday, November 15, 2010

Ethan Update

Oh, what a day.

(For those of you who followed the play-by-play on Facebook, please excuse any repeat information as I attempt to bring everyone else up to speed.)

Around 9:30 this morning, after breakfast, Ethan started acting a little funny; he was extra whiny and wanted to be held non-stop. This is highly unusual for him, on both accounts, so I had a feeling something was up. A few minutes later, he began to act like he wanted to throw up. Due to his intact Nissen, finding relief in that fashion is not an easy task. He gagged for a bit, which was absolutely heart-wrenching to watch and finally, about half an hour later, he was successful. Actually, "successful" might be a bit of an understatement; I'd say he was quite the over achiever, as this continued from about 10:00 this morning until 3:00 this afternoon.

After the 5th time, in which he slipped and fell in a puddle of his own bodily secretions, then proceeded to pass out on my chest, I called Jeramie to come home. I had reached my breaking point. Give me blood, heart surgery, and catheters; I cannot handle that much vomit.

He was able to sleep about an hour before his tummy started to act up again. Jeramie walked through the door not long after with bottles of Gatorade for Ethan, and a bag of chocolate for me, in hand. I'm not sure who looked worse at that point, me or Ethan.

We attempted to give him a little bit of Gatorade, but he wasn't able to keep it down, so I laid him down for a nap. Thankfully, he slept for about two and a half hours, which gave Jeramie and me time to disinfect every toy and every solid surface downstairs. I was even able to sneak in a short nap before Ethan woke up. Have I mentioned that my husband has the heart of a true servant?

Amazingly, Ethan woke up around 5:30 this evening like a brand new baby! He quickly let us know that he wanted something to drink, so we tried the Gatorade again, and he sucked it down in a matter of seconds.

Then we waited.

I prayed it would stay down, and we distracted him from his desire for more while we waited to see what would happen. Fifteen minutes later, we gave him another ounce or so, waited, then he drank another ounce fifteen minutes after that. Before we knew it, he was drinking more volume more frequently, and ended up keeping down about 7 ounces of Gatorade, plus some dry Cheerios!

He even played a bit, then I took him upstairs for a much needed bath. By 8:00 he was bathed, in his pajamas, and asleep in his crib. I think it's safe to say he is worn out from today's events, and I am too.

In fact, I am going to place the order for our Christmas cards, probably eat a bowl of cereal for dinner, then most likely pass out on the couch watching TV. I hope and pray we all wake up well rested, and healthy, tomorrow morning.

Goodnight, y'all!


Stefenie said...

WONDERFUL news to hear that he is doing so much better!!!

Hope's Blog said...

I am so glad he is doing better. My kids had a stomach virus last week and thankfully it only lasted 2 days. Hope got is worse than the boys and I think she became afraid to drink her bottle. She is finally back to her 'normal' self.

I am hoping the same holds true for you and you have seen the last of the vomit.

Jenn said...

I am so glad he's feeling better. I hope you all have a nice, long night of sleep.

Anonymous said...

I am glad he is feeling better. I hope today shows that he is completely rid of it.

I hope you had a quiet, restful evening as well.

Love you guys. Grandma

Jennifer said...

So glad that Ethan is feeling better! I hope he is all good today & that you & Jeramie don't get it either!

Carolina Carters said...

What a rough day! Wow! I sure hope today was better!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...