Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Two Years Later

Dear Ethan:

Today is your second birthday! As I write this, I am snuggled up in a quilt that your Granny made for you; it is a beautiful representation of your first year of life and now I sit here, reflecting on year two.

6:46 this morning. The moment you came into our world.

As much as I wanted to address this letter to you as my little baby, I know that just isn't so. In a figurative sense, you will always be my baby, my firstborn. However, I can't continue to see you as that helpless infant. At two years old, you are quite the opposite; you are the picture of independence and strength. You face each day with a fierce determination that I sometimes find myself envious of. I have never seen you give up on anything. Ever. From building a tower of blocks, to feeding yourself with your special hand, you keep on trying until you've succeeded. Ethan, that already speaks volumes to your character and I pray that you will hold on to that trait as this world does its best to beat you up and hold you down.

I am thankful that your second year of life was much more kind than your first. You did face two surgeries, one of which was an emergency, but you soared through both of them! You continually amazed your surgeons, therapists, and doctors with your healing and progress. To say that your Daddy and I were also proud of you is an understatement, for sure!

And, Ethan, we continue to wear our pride on our sleeve. Not a day goes by without one of us commenting on a new skill of yours. You have exploded, developmentally speaking, in the past six months. The things you know, are able to do, and remember are absolutely remarkable. I would love for that ICU doctor, who cared for you in the days following your cardiac arrest, to see you now. I am certain that, he too, would stand amazed.

As you turn two, and we embark on your third year, my prayer is that your Daddy and I will continue to nurture your strong spirit. I pray that we will allow ourselves to challenge you, and that we will not be gripped by fear. The world is yours to explore, sweet boy.

For you, I ask that God will continue to hold you close. You were His first, you know? You are His even now. I have no way to know what the next 365 days will hold for you, but He does. And, with every day we're given, I will thank Him for allowing me to know the joy of being your Mama.


I love you, Ethan. Happy birthday.


15 comments:

Jamie Fenley said...

Happy Birthday, Ethan! What an amazing gift you are to this world.

Meg Guenther said...

Happy Birthday!! Thanks for letting us share your day!

Stefenie said...

Tears in my eyes!!! Beautiful post Joye!

Happy Birthday Ethan!!

Kim Smith said...

Aww... such a beautiful post, Joye! Happy second birthday, Ethan! You are such a blessing!

Jenn said...

Happy birthday sweet boy! You are a treasure, and I am so thankful that we know you.

Anonymous said...

I love this post. Happy birthday, Ethan!
-NAB

Wodzisz Family said...

Happy Birthday Ethan...your mommy is a beautiful writer!

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday Ethan! You are a beautiful amazing little boy!

Mandy said...

Happy 2nd Birthday Ethan! We love you!

Mike and Amanda Baumann said...

Happy Birthday Ethan! We are so proud of you! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Amazing blog for an amazing little boy. I love you Ethan Kendrick Mullis. Happy, Happy Birthday!

You have introduced a very special unique kind of love in my life that I have never experienced.

Love you forever and ever, Grandma A.

The Melton3 said...

Absolutely beautiful Joye. Ethan use blessed to have you for his Mommy. I hope I am able to continue to help Bobby achieve his goals as well. Love you guys!

Kendra B. W. said...

Joye, that was beautiful! Happy 2nd Birthday Ethan!!

Jen F. said...

Happy birthday, my little heart buddy! So proud of all he's accomplished and all you've accomplished as his mama. Welcome to year #3!

Gilda said...

Happy Birthday! your such a great little man. I love this post:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...