Friday, May 4, 2012

NYC - Day 1

One week ago, I was walking around New York City with my girls - halfway through a 24-hour period of no sleep.

None.  Zero.  Zilch.

From 3:30 Friday morning until the same time Saturday morning, we sucked every drop out of that city, and it was amazing.

Am I still paying for it today, one week later?

You better believe it.

Would I do it again?



Our first day in the city took some getting used to - as did the flight! Y'all, I've never seen a smaller airplane.

But, at least flying at sunrise made up for it.

But, back to NYC.  Everything is so fast-paced there - from walking down the sidewalk, to ordering lunch, to those dang taxi drivers! We arrived at Laguardia around 8:30 Friday morning and made our way to our hotel, quickly learning that the subway would be our preferred mode of transportation.

Our first view of the city.

We dropped our bags off at the hotel, grabbed some food (hello, free continental breakfast!), and quickly found our way to Times Square.  We were just a quick walk away and before I knew it, we rounded the corner to see this...

I know I'm from the country and all, but I seriously stood there with my mouth wide open for a second.

(Then quickly closed it because the wind literally took my breath away.)

It was awesome! Times Square, that is - not the wind.  The wind was definitely not awesome.

After we shopped around a bit, we hopped on the subway and headed north towards the 5th Avenue/Central Park area.  Figuring out the subway system proved to be our biggest challenge of the weekend (more on that later...) but by Sunday we were pros! 

Our first subway ride of the weekend.

We managed to find our way here...

 ...and I loved the idea of a beautiful green park in the middle of all that glass and concrete.

Our next stop was FAO Schwarz, where we met a very friendly Toy Soldier who was all about some Carolina girls!

Ethan's only request for me when I told him I would be gone for the weekend is that I would come back with a dinosaur.  What better place to find one than FAO?!

Our 5th Avenue stroll also took us into Tiffany & Co., of course.  I texted Jeramie to tell him I had found a new wedding band and he responded with, "Maybe you'll find Bon Jovi while you're there and he can help us out with that."

Hey, a girl can wish - on both accounts!

After a full day of walking and shopping, we headed back to our hotel in time to unpack and rest a bit before our nighttime city tour.  Our room wasn't much bigger than mine & Jeramie's bedroom, but it did the trick.  The beds were comfy and, after all we put our bodies through, that was all that mattered at the end of the night!

The bus tour we signed up for took us on a loop through the city, dropped us off at the Seaport for a water cruise, then took us to Little Italy for dinner.  Not included on the itinerary was the part where it left us, miles away from our hotel, at 10:00 at night.  Fantastic.

Seeing the city lit up at night, from the water, was amazing though, so I'll take it.

And, as if all that wasn't enough, three of us headed out to a NYC club for some drinks and booty shakin', 90s style! (Think: Gettin' Jiggy Wit It) Shouldn't at least one late-night cab ride photo come standard with every trip to a big city?

I thought so, too.

Who wants to guess how quickly we crashed once we made it back to our hotel?!

Stay tuned for Day 2...


Anonymous said...

Great post Joye.... the pictures are gorgeous!!! Looks and sounds like your very well deserved trip to the city was a blast!!

Love ya Girl,
Mama-in-law. :)

Carolina Carters said...

Oh how fun! I LOVE NYC!! Seeing those (beautiful!!) pictures makes me want to go back so badly! I'm sure y'all had a blast. Can't wait to read about the rest of the trip!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...