Sunday, February 8, 2009

Birth Stories

The past few months I've become very interested in other women's birth stories. Not for the sake of comparing my situation to theirs, but to gain a little more perspective on how different every birth can be. Throughout this process I realized that I didn't know anything about my own mother's story and how I came into this world. This past weekend she was in town and I made it a point to get the scoop. Here's what I found out:


-She was due with me on March 14, 1982. I am due to have my own daughter on the very same date, 27 years later.
-Her water broke at 3:00 in the morning on March 22, 1982. She went straight to the hospital, but never actually went into labor. She was given Pitocin around 10:00 a.m., which caused her to start having contractions. I was born 3 and 1/2 hours later at 1:25 p.m. I hope I have those genes!
-While she was in the hospital, an exam informed the doctor that I was breech. He began talking to her and daddy about the possibility of a c-section. The next time they checked her (after the Pitocin) I had assumed the head down position.


All of this is incredibly interesting to me. I'm not sure how I've gone almost 9 months without knowing any of this! Our stories are so similar in so many ways, although technology has given us the opportunity to know a little more than she did at the time. I'm still not convinced that's such a good thing.

Here's to waiting to see what the next 5 weeks have in store!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...