Sunday, February 22, 2009

My Girls

In my life, I have been blessed with many wonderful things: a great family, a loving husband, a car to drive, a house to live in; but I feel I have been especially lucky to find the friends I have. For as long as I can remember I have been surrounded by great people. I'm sure growing up in a small town helped with that and I am still friends with many of my childhood friends today.

When I went off to college in August of 2000, I was very nervous to leave those friendships behind and begin the journey of finding new ones. However, it didn't take long for me to find "my girls". Brandi and I met almost immediately, which then led me to Michelle, her roommate who had been chosen at random. Tara entered the picture a few weeks later and from that point the four of us were pretty much inseparable. We all eventually moved into an apartment together and people were amazed that four girls could live together for two years without killing each other first. That's not to say we didn't have our ups and downs, but overall it was an experience I wouldn't trade for ANYTHING.

Fast forward 8 1/2 years and those girls are still my rock. We've seen each other through intense break-ups, four weddings, two babies, death, sickness, and many other things too personal to list. We don't see each other nearly as often as I would like, but when we do, it's like we've never been apart.

Yesterday was an extra special day with my girls. Brandi and Tara, with the help of Jeramie and Matt, sent me on a scavenger hunt around Triangle Town Center to find them waiting on me at The Spa by Mitchell's. They surprised me with a "Mama Shower" complete with a massage, lunch, manicure, pedicure, and "mommy gifts". It was so nice to spend an entire day with them, laughing and catching up. We missed Michelle, but enjoyed the time the three of us were able to have together.

Sometimes I just sit in awe that there are such great people in this sometimes ugly world. I am thankful for those moments, like yesterday, that remind me of that.

1 comment:

Scott Hennis said...

This has nothing to do with this post but I wanted to leave you a comment. I'm so happy for you and your family. It's so amazing how the years have not changed us all. The Kingdom thanks you for remaining a rock in the faith!! And seeing Bon Jovi on your fav. list rocks my world!! Talk with you soon.
Scott

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...