Sunday, September 27, 2009

Fevers, and Naps, and Jobs ...OH MY!

I'm currently sitting in my living room, listening to an agitated baby on the monitor. A baby who should be sound asleep, dreaming of squash and bananas. But, instead, he's flailing around in his crib and sounding something like this guy:

This would be the same baby who felt a little warm after waking up from his "nap" (we'll get to that in a minute) earlier this afternoon, and ended up with a temperature of 101.6.

What in the heck is it with my son and these random fevers?!

I'm suspecting an ear infection, or some sort of viral infection. The latter would probably make me look up to the sky and just chuckle, considering we've basically kept Ethan quarantined since leaving Duke a week ago. So, we'll take a trip to the pediatrician tomorrow and hopefully figure out what's up.

---------------------------------------

Now, about this nap thing. Ethan had just started to nap, in a somewhat routine form, before his surgery 2 weeks ago. He would almost always take a nap sometime in the morning, and again in the afternoon, for about 1-2 hours each time. Now, nap-time is SO confusing.

He goes down pretty consistently in the morning around 10:00 and sleeps for 45 minutes-1 hour. He wakes up, somewhat happy and rested, but gets fussy and tired 30-45 minutes later. So, I put him back down, and he sleeps for another 45 minutes or so. In my mind, he just shouldn't wake up for those 30-45 minutes. But he does, and I can't figure out what to do about it. The afternoon is a whole other story...

I'm currently reading The No-Cry Nap Solution and it has some pretty good ideas. But, let me ask y'all... any good advice for nap-time? I know some babies are "catnappers" and can function off of shorter naps, but not my son. It's obvious that he needs more sleep than he's currently getting during the day!

Exhibit A: Falling asleep, mid-playtime

If only I were home with him all day, everyday to settle into some sort of routine...

---------------------------------------

And speaking of, I'm feeling a strong desire to be a stay-at-home mama. In my ideal world, I would work part-time in the mornings and be home all afternoon and evening. Jeramie and I are starting to have some conversations about what it would take for that to happen. I tend to "think big", so if y'all start hearing me talk about selling our house and moving to the country, feel free to smile and nod, but realize I'm about 82% serious.

---------------------------------------

Keep prayin' for us, please. It seems like we have a lot on our plate right now, and I'm already feeling kinda full.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Joye- I have no solution to the nap dilemma, but I have some thoughts on the mama thing....
I think mama's should stay home, if you feel like this is what God is calling you to do. I talk to a lot of mom's and all of them agree that the years go by way to quickly.
If it were me, I would try to do everything I could to get the most out of those years. And as your friend, I hope I can support you and Jeramie on whatever decision you have to make. I guess it's putting our faith in action. It's a huge, scary thing, but I truly believe that we can't mess up God's will, maybe just detour it a little. So, if you were designed to stay at home with your boy, I know God will make a way. Much love to you!

Anonymous said...

Joye, I wish ALL mamas could stay home with their babies. I wished I could with Brooke (now 22!) and Joshua (now 10!), but it didn't work out for us financially. If you see anyway possible to do it, I say go for it. Give yourself the peace and assurance that your sweet little boy needs you. You could always go back to work, when he starts school. I think I would be a basketcase going back to work as well, knowing what you sweet Ethan has been thru already. He seems to be a tough little trouper but still Mama needs to know she is right there with him thru all this! Look at it on paper- see if it works out. Keep up the blog! I love reading of his wonderful progress and ADORABLE pics!
Lois

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...