Monday, June 14, 2010

Third Time's the Charm

For those of you who haven't kept count, Jeramie and I have attempted an overnight getaway twice in the past couple of months. Our first trip, which included two tickets to see Bon Jovi and a room in the upscale Westin Hotel, was canceled when Ethan contracted osteomyelitis in his finger and required emergency surgery.

The following month, we planned to enjoy a baby-less night over Memorial Day weekend. My in-laws gave us a gift card to Outback when trip #1 went down the toilet, and our plan was to have a nice dinner, watch a movie, and get some much needed uninterrupted rest. That trip was canceled when Ethan came down with a bad case of the croup and needed steroids and breathing treatments for 5 days. It seemed as if it just wasn't in the cards for us to get away.

Until this past weekend.

That's right, folks. We kept our plans a secret from Ethan and didn't really tell many people at all. In fact, we planned it in a just a few short days and we were dropping Ethan off at my in-laws' house before we knew it! He stayed from Saturday to Sunday afternoon and had an absolute blast!

While he was busy mastering the art of scooting down the stairs, covering every inch of their carpet on foot, and squealing with excitement at their animals, Jeramie and I were making the most of our baby-free time! I won't lie; I definitely shed a few tears once we got on I-40 headed back to Raleigh, but I knew we needed this.

We started our time together by going to see Shrek Forever After in 3D. I was probably a little more excited about this than your typical 27 28 year old woman (I seriously had to do the math right there), but I love all the Shrek movies and I had NEVER seen a 3D movie before. And, let me just tell you, it did not disappoint! The graphics were uh-mazing and the movie was really cute as well. Even the glasses weren't that bad.

After the movie we came home, freshened up, and headed out to dinner. There's nothing like a good steak and some garlic mashed potatoes from Outback! Jeramie had the salmon, and I might even go as far to say that it was better than my steak. Just sayin'.

We rented another movie after dinner and came home to an eerily quiet house. It was so strange to not hear the buzz of the baby monitor, or to give nighttime meds. The only interruption to our 2nd movie was needing to pause it long enough to call and check-in on our sweet boy. We slept well Saturday night and didn't wake up until 9:30 the next morning!

We were able to go to church together on Sunday, but then boogied on down I-40 as soon as it was over. As much as we enjoyed time to ourselves, we were missing our son! It was so good to experience what it was like to miss him, outside of the hospital setting.

I am so thankful that we were finally able to follow through with our plan. It has been a long time comin' and it was just what we needed.

Here's to many more... :)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

So glad you were able to get away for a night! You both deserve it!!

It does get easier to leave them for a night or two. Brayden has stayed with the grandparents 3 times now & I has had a blast every time!

Hope you can get away again sometime soon!

The Smith's said...

Oh, I am so glad you guys got to finally have your getaway! Funny, I actually prefer those "home" getaways! And you're right, as great as it is, there is nothing like going to pick up that kid you missed so much! Have a great week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...