Monday, September 27, 2010

Surgery Canceled!

Just a quick note to let everyone know that Ethan will not be having surgery tomorrow. I took him to Duke today after calling the surgeon's office to tell them about his recent cold. We all decided it would be better for everyone to know the plan for surgery this afternoon, rather than at 6:00 tomorrow morning.

Everyone (surgeon, anesthesiologist, pre-op nurse, me) agreed that Ethan looks fine and sounds good, as far as his lungs are concerned. However, his nasal passages are still very congested and there's a lot of phlegm hanging out in the back of his throat. The (very high) risk of some of that congestion getting pushed into his lungs during intubation does not outweigh the benefit of having surgery tomorrow. So, it's a no-go for now.

We were able to reschedule for November 2nd, which means the Tri Mulli will be going into hibernation for the next 5 weeks. We have a few things going on the next couple of weekends but, after that, don't expect to see our faces all together until we emerge from Duke, surgery completed.

Please continue to pray that Ethan can shake this cold for good, and that he'll remain healthy until surgery day (and beyond).

Here's to not even having to think about potty training for five more weeks!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...