Thursday, March 31, 2011

Vowing to Remember

Every now and then, I get the urge to re-read the e-mails that were sent to me in the days, weeks, and months following Ethan's birth. I'm not really sure what spurred it today but, before I knew it, I found myself sitting behind the laptop, with tears in my eyes, and gratitude in my heart.

Not that I could ever forget the horrendous moment we found out Ethan was a very sick baby, or even the feeling of sitting in the waiting room on surgery day, but those wounds aren't as fresh. This is something to be thankful for, no doubt, but I don't ever want to lose the perspective those first grueling months gave me.

I also do not want to forget the people who prayed us through that time, and sent daily reminders that they were doing so. In my e-mail account sits hundreds of e-mails sent between March 8, 2009 and now. Hun-dreds. Reading them today was as if I was reading them for the first time. Two years later I can still feel the love, anguish, despair, and thoughtfulness that radiates from each one.

Thank you for loving our family, even still. Thank you for carrying us through the terrible times, and rejoicing with us through the good. I pray that Ethan will comprehend all of this one day; that he'll really feel the depths of the love that has been poured over him; that he'll truly understand just how incredible his story is.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...