Thursday, January 17, 2013

Ohio, Take Two.

Last Friday, I left Raleigh and set out for northern Ohio.  (You may remember our first trip when we drove up to visit our friends.)  This time my destination was the same, but there were two major differences.  One - I flew.  All by my lonesome.  And, two - Amanda had no idea I was coming!

Back in November, I worked out the details with her husband and spent the next two months bursting with secret excitement.  It had been nine months since Amanda and I had seen each other, and her family just recently grew by one precious baby girl.  It was past time for a visit! I wasn't sure if we'd be able to pull off the surprise completely, but it went down exactly as I imagined it would.  She was clueless, and lots of tears and hugs ensued!

I've often described my friendship with Amanda as "life-giving".  We challenge each other, ask each other hard questions, and sometimes come away from our conversations with a headache.  Our similarities continually pull us closer together, and our differences always lead to some form of growth and fresh perspective.  It's kind of amazing.


Aside from a "dinner date" Saturday night, and church the next morning, we spent the rest of our time lounging around and solving the world's problems.  I joked about spoiling sweet Paisley, but I just could not put her cuddly self down.



Despite our relaxed time together, it was Monday before I knew it and time to leave these sweet babies...



...so that I could get back to my own.  Who, by the way, seems two feet taller and is acting way more like the four year old he's about to be.  Sigh.

I cherish the time I was able to spend with Amanda and her family, and praise God for orchestrating such a rejuvenating weekend.  Isn't it awesome how He gives us just what we need, right when we need it?

I think so.

Until next time, my friend...



1 comment:

Amanda said...

My heart is bursting! Thank you so much for visiting. I am thankful for our friendship. Just when I thought the water works had stopped..... miss you my sweet friend. I told Mike, it's cheaper than therapy to fly us to see each other :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...