Sunday, February 10, 2013

Day 4 - Blood Donation


Did you know?

1.  "Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood."

2.  "The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints."

3.  "One [blood] donation can help save the lives of up to three people."

(Facts compiled from http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/blood-facts-and-statistics)

4"In neonates, approximately 20% of red blood cell (RBC) and most of the plasma products are used for surgical procedures, of which cardiac surgery is the most common indication." (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1751-2824.2009.01240.x/full


Take action!

Donate.  I'll be honest with y'all.  I've yet to overcome my fear of needles and donate blood myself.  I tried once in high school, completely chickened out, and haven't tried since - not even after watching bags and bags of blood flow into Ethan's tiny, sick body.  It's something I want to do - should do, even - and 2013 just might be my year.  How about you? Find a donation opportunity near you.


Tomorrow's topic: Organ Transplant and Donation

Previous topics for CHD Awareness Week - 2013:


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...