Sunday, May 2, 2010

Jennie & Charlotte

My heart is heavy tonight as I think about two very special families in my life. I hope they don't mind that I share a little bit of their stories here, but I'd like to ask all of you to be keeping them in your thoughts and prayers over the days and weeks to come.

----------------------------------------

If you've been reading the blog for a few months, you'll remember my friend Jennie that I mentioned back in November.

(You should really click on those links to read her story; it's breathtaking.)

It is absolutely amazing to think about how far this amazing, strong woman has come. Just 6 months ago, many doctors were not very optimistic about her future, and now she is HOME! I get tears in my eyes just thinking about it. The word "home" has so many emotions attached to it when you've been through something as traumatic as she has.

Jennie is scheduled for surgery on Tuesday to replace the portion of her skull that was removed in the first few days after her accident. She and her family will be meeting with the neurosurgeon tomorrow to go over the specifics of the procedure. Jesse (Jennie's sister, and one of my dear friends) has asked specifically that we pray "that Jennie's bone has survived well in deep freeze and will be able to be used, that the doctors are focused and calm, and that the surgery goes exactly as planned with a quick recovery."

I will be praying fervently throughout the coming days; will you join me?

----------------------------------------

Many of you also know that we became very attached to a family we met in the PCICU during Ethan's first days at Duke. Rob & Charlotte became such great friends of ours; they understand our emotions in a way that not many people ever will. We've watched our sons go from tiny little intubated babies, to strong 1-year old boys. That experience has created a bond that will not soon be broken.

Just a week and a half ago, one day after Charlotte & Bobby's birthday (they share the same one!), Charlotte was diagnosed with breast cancer. How is that even fair?? I still find myself getting angry, sad, frustrated about her diagnosis and, yet, she handles it with such grace and stead-fastness in her faith. She amazes me.

Charlotte had a very long day at UNC last week to begin some preliminary testing. She will go back on Tuesday for another biopsy, then again on Wednesday to receive the results. Would you pray that the results will show that the cancer is contained to her breasts? Pray that God would continue to place people in her path to encourage her and keep her strong.

You can follow her story here.

----------------------------------------

I can spend so much time and energy trying to figure out why bad things happen to good people, especially those who have already had their fair share of "bad". I can get angry and question God, and wonder if He really knows what He's doing up there.

BUT, I'm learning that's exactly what Satan wants me to do. He wants to find these moments of weakness and frustration and use them to twist my idea of God's goodness and righteousness. He wants me to forget God's promises, to blame Him for all that's wrong in this messed up world.

Instead of all that, I'm choosing to trust His timing, to believe in His might, and to just simply hold on.

Hold on, Jennie & Charlotte, for "the Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his love, He will rejoice over you with singing." -Zephaniah 3:17

Hold on.

1 comment:

Jesse Smith said...

Thank you Joye for taking time to post about Jennie! It is so exciting to have her home. :) Even though this week is going to be busy and a little nerve-wracking, I am just so thankful to get to be by her side through it all. Our God is awesome god!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...